Tuesday, November 17, 2009

How can I keep Cyperus Papyrus from spreading in my garden?

I'm have 3 papyrus plants (still in pot) that I'm getting ready to plant in soil. What methods are there to keep this from spreading throughout my garden? Someone told me to plant it in the pot (i.e. dig a hole and put the whole pot in). Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

How can I keep Cyperus Papyrus from spreading in my garden?
That is one of the easiest ways to keep something from spreading. If the plants have lived in those pots for a while - move them into a larger pot first. Then just dig a whole big enough for the whole pot to fit in the ground. There isn't anything else to it.





Good luck! And water them quite a bit.
Reply:I'm guessing you have Cyperus alternifolia http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/vi... rather than Cyperus papyrus: http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/vi...





Mine (alternifolia and papyrus) have been in the ground for 2 years and haven't spread appreciably. If yours start to creep where you don't want it, just dig it out. C alternifolia roots in water, C papyrus propagated by seed (extremely small, dust size seeds). Both take full sun and love wet feet.


No comments:

Post a Comment